I have something to share with you. I love Mother’s Day! For me, there is no pressure to decorate the house, no need to plan for presents, and it can be as lazy or as active as we want. Plus my daughter is usually on her best behavior since it is Mommy’s special day. Instead of doing a big dinner out, we love to “brunch”! Over the years we have spent Mother’s Day at a lot of great restaurants in Dallas. I remember a quiet meal at the Dallas Fish Market with my newborn daughter, a more casual meal with the whole family at The Grape, a southern meal at Hattie’s in Oak Cliff, and my absolute favorite, a special brunch at the Nasher Sculpture Center(brunch by Wolfgang Puck with special family activities and performances) that my husband reserved for the three of us as a surprise. Of course, as a mom, I always ask friends for recommendations on where they spend Mother’s day, whether it be brunch or dinner. A few of their favorites: brunch at Café on the Green at the Four Seasons in Irving(very family friendly), Al Biernats (for brunch or dinner) and Nick and Sam’s Grill(very energetic). This year I want to try something that is “new to me” but a place that I would be happy to go to on any given Sunday(with the hope that someone else is doing the food shopping and running errands while I am “brunching”). I went to my two trusted “foodie” sources and not too many posts about Mother’s Day yet. Then I pulled up OpenTable and started looking for the best brunch spots in North Dallas and their page specific for Mother’s Day brunch spots. This is the EASIEST way to make reservations and it all syncs with my calendar! So where might you find me on Mother’s Day?
- SMOKE Plano – I have been to Smoke down in Oak Cliff and enjoyed both brunch and dinner. I think it is time to visit them again for some thick cut pork belly bacon! Unfortunately, you cannot make reservations for brunch.
- DISH Preston Hollow – I used to live near DISH on Cedar Springs and unfortunately never made it there for lunch, dinner or brunch. Now that there is one closer to me and they serve Fried Chicken and Waffles, this is definitely on my list.
- Mexican Sugar – There is something for everyone here – Benedictos Rancheros, Chilaquiles or Egg White Migas. Plus I can spend some time shopping at Legacy after we eat!
- Knife Dallas – The Short Rib Benedict and Pork Belly Hash are calling my name. We have been for dinner and it may be time to visit for brunch!
- Ivy Kitchen – I visited Ivy Kitchen right after it opened for a girls’ night out and enjoyed my meal. I have heard some mixed reviews but I have not been for brunch. Depending on the weather, brunch and a movie may be a great way to spend the day! I know my husband would be thrilled!
Happy Mother’s Day!!!