I have something to share with you.
Like many of you, I visit three food stores to complete my entire shopping list. Here in Dallas, Tom Thumb is my primary go-to store. Paper towels, ziploc bags, chicken broth, the standard stuff. I use their app for discounts, I know which store brand products I like and I can be in and out of the store pretty fast. The second store I shop at is Central Market. Here I buy certain items that I cannot get at Tom Thumb. They have an awesome marinated chicken at their meat counter, amazing italian meatballs with veal and they carry some of the foods I used to buy in the Northeast. Whole Foods is the third. Of course I love all of their fish, meats and product but there are two or three items that I only buy at Whole Foods. The first is Basil Pesto and the second is Pimento Cheese.
Zilks Foods is a small artisan producer in Austin; both items are available in Dallas stores and are packaged by Whole Foods – sometimes the pesto is available on the self serve bar with the olives, other times it is with the other pestos and cheeses. Both are absolutely fantastic and come in a variety of flavors(think hatch chile!)
Zilk’s Basil Pesto:
- mix with cream and Parmesan to make a pesto sauce for pasta. Add chicken and diced tomato for a great meal
- add to a turkey or chicken sandwich with or without mayo
- Serve over grilled chicken or fish
- Add to a tomato and mozzarella salad
Zilk’s Pimento Cheese:
- Use instead of sliced cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich and serve with tomato soup
- The best topping for a fabulous cracker
- Use on a hot roast beef sandwich
Any other recipe suggestions?