I have something to share with you.
I can bake for one reason and one reason only….I can follow a recipe. But I have no idea how to make a pie crust, cookie dough or any kind of special baked goods if no recipe is available. For Thanksgiving this year I wanted a homemade apple pie. So I searched Bon Appetit, Epicurious, Food TV, Pinterest and then realized I was in way over my head. So I looked up apple tarts and found something a bit more, shall I say, manageable. I printed out three Pinterest recipes, took part of each and made my own Apple Tart. And I must say, I was pretty impressed. So was my husband.
Homemade Apple Tart
- Frozen Puff Pastry
- Two apples(I used Gala and Granny Smith)
- Brown Sugar
- Peel and core the apples
- Cut them in half, and then cut them into thin slices(half circles)
- After slicing them thin, put them in a bowl of water with lemon juice just enough so they do not brown.
- Microwave them for 1 minute so they are partially cooked, drain them if water remains and add brown sugar and cinnamon(use enough so they will have a nice flavor)
- Unfold the puff pastry once thawed and cut into either two or three sections.
- Leave a border around the edges and start layering the apples(as seen above) covered with all the sugar and cinnamon.
- Add extra brown sugar and cinnamon after layered, before you put in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are puffed.
- Serve with vanilla bean or salted caramel ice cream.
You can add more flavors with dried fruit at the end or drizzle it with caramel! Its super easy and perfect for a quick dessert.